Every New Year, it gives each of us the opportunity to start fresh and SEE God do
new things in our lives. In 2019, we’re approaching it with 21 days of prayer and
fasting to see God. Move into our lives. By Fasting in the beginning of the year, it’s a
form of giving GOD the first part of the year, to see Him exponentially bless the REST
of the year!
If you are one of those people who sense God has so much more for your life, then I
INVITE YOU TO JOIN ME and take the first step in positioning your life through
fasting in 2019. Below you’ll find a detailed explanation of what Biblical fasting is. My
prayer is you would get ahold of this spiritual key of fasting and unlock the
breakthroughs that awaits you in 2019!
-Pastor Josiah Silva
• Church Fasting dates // Jan 13th - Feb 3rd
What is Fasting?
• Biblical Fasting is simply refraining from food for a spiritual purpose. It’s not just for
the “super” Christian. Prayer and Fasting is a spiritual discipline that brings
breakthrough and unlocks God’s power and purpose in your life. Let’s look at Isaiah
• Isaiah 58:6 NKJV “Is this not the fast that I have chosen: To LOOSE the
bonds of wickedness, To UNDO the heavy burdens, To let the oppressed
go FREE, And that you BREAK every yoke?”
Who Fasted in the Bible?
• Many people fasted in the bible, however the most prominent person who fasted
was Jesus. The Bible says, Jesus fasted 40 days and that he also directed others to
fast as a spiritual disciple as well.
• Matt 4:4 “Jesus fasted forty days and forty nights...”
• Matt 6:16 “And whenever you are fasting, do not look gloomy and sour
Why should I Fast for 21 days?
• Do you need a Miracle? Do you need a fresh encounter with God? Do you need
More of His Power? More of His Presence? More of His Provision? More Faith?
More Peace? More Joy? Is there a dream inside of you that want to see come out in
2014? Then Fasting is your spiritual key. We chose 21 days as Daniel in the Bible
fasted 21 days to see God bring miraculous breakthrough.
• Daniel 10:1-2 NIV “At that time I, Daniel, mourned (fasted) for three weeks.
3 I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips... until the three weeks were over.”
How to Begin?
• Start with a clear goal. Be specific. Why are you fasting? Do you need
direction, healing, restoration of marriage or family issues? Are you facing
financial difficulties? Ask the Holy Spirit for guidance. Pray daily, read the
Bible and declare God’s promises over your life.
Decide What to Fast?
• There are 4 types of Fast
1. Full Fast: Drink only liquids (you establish the number of days)
2. The Daniel Fast: Eat no meat, no sweets and no bread. Drink water
and juice and Eat fruits and vegetables.
3. Partial Fast: A partial fast is from sun up to sundown. from this 3
types of fasting—a Full Fast, Daniel Fast or giving up an item
(caffeine, sweets, social media, tv etc)
4. Relinquish fast - giving up something you like, television, movies,
social media, cell phone, or other recreational activities for a period
• Please use wisdom and pray for guidance. Beginners are advised
to start slow. Start with something you can commit to, don’t try to
set the world record on a first time fast.
What to Expect?
• The Physical: When you fast your body detoxifies, eliminating
toxins from your system. This may cause mild discomfort such as
headaches and irritability during withdrawal from caffeine and
sugars. And naturally, you will have hunger pains. Limit your
activity, rest and exercise moderately.
• The Spiritual: Fasting brings about miraculous results. You are
following Jesus’ example when you fast. Spend time listening to
praise and worship. Pray as often as you can throughout the day.
Get away from the normal distractions as much as possible and
keep your heart and mind set on seeking God’s face. We change
during a fast, not God (Malachi 3:8). Fasting does not get more of
God’s attention on us, He’s always thinking about you. Fasting gets
MORE of our attention on God.
Let’s see God move in 2019 like never before,
Pastor Josiah Silva